8 Simple Ways to Celebrate International Day of HappinessDeals
“Dance like no one’s watching, smile like love, and believe that happiness can change the world.”— Pharrell Williams
Wednesday, March 20, 2019 marks the International Day of Happiness, founded by the United Nations. This year’s theme of celebration is Happier Together, which means focusing on what we have in common, rather than on what divides us.
Let’s come together to create some happiness for ourselves and those around us. Every person of every age is invited to join in on celebrating International Day of Happiness because happiness makes the world a better place.
Here are some simple ways to celebrate the day:
- Reflect on how you speak to yourself. Would you talk or tell another person the things you tell yourself– or are you being too harsh? Asking yourself this question will help you be kinder to yourself.
- Take the time to journal, even simply 50 words three times a week. Take this time for yourself to reflect on the day.
- Stay fully present while drinking your cup of tea or coffee. Take the time to relax completely and enjoy some “me” time.
- Take a moment to listen carefully to someone and what they are trying to say. Try to understand his or her feelings.
- Perform a random act of kindness, even something as simple as making a point to greet or smile at every neighbor you see out that day.
- Accept yourself for who you are. This means the body, income, success, and milestones you’ve hit in life. When you love yourself, you will try to be the best person you can be with the body, mind, and spirit that you have. That’s the most the world can expect from you.
- Take the time to think about all the great gifts you’ve been given. We often forget to appreciate the small things, such as the food on our table, our parents who love us, or the fact that we’re alive and can make a difference in the world. Make a list of all these great gifts you take for granted so you can look through it next time you are feeling down.
- Take the time to enjoy nature. Go on a walk, either alone or with loved ones, and take the time to spot 3 things that you find beautiful, unique, or that make you happy. Even do something as simple as walk slowly on your way to the car or bus stop on your way to and from work.